Force U20s Overpowered in Canberra

The Road Safety Western Force U20s have gone down to 35-7 to the Brumbies Colts at Portsea Oval in Canberra in the side’s final match of the Super U20s Championship.

In a defensively orientated first half both sides crossed just once with the Brumbies Colt taking a slender six-point lead into the break.

The Force left no stone unturned in the second half, creating numerous try-scoring chances but failure to take advantage of their opportunities due to penalties and skill errors saw the side unable to add to their half time score.

The Road Safety Western Force U20s side made early possession count to open the scoring in the sixth minute through Trey Moloney with the winger going in under the posts following a beautiful set piece move. Anthony Hondros added the extras to hand the visitors and early 7-0 lead.

The home side answered back just minutes later driving deep into the Force 22 thanks to a penalty before No.8 Brodie Leber showed some footwork to go over from short range. Fullback Jamie Kotz made no mistake with the conversion to lock the scores.

With both teams defending with vigor, scoring opportunities were hard to come by after the opening 10 minutes.

When the Force were caught infringing at the breakdown Kotz stepped up to keep the scoreboard moving and nailed the penalty to push the Brumbies in front for the first time in the contest.

The Force went searching for another score in the final 10 minutes of the opening half applying constant pressure inside the Brumbies' half but the Canberians stood strong to keep the men in blue at bay.

A penalty for the Brumbies Colts in the shadows of half time saw the home side take a 13-7 lead into the break. 

The Force started strongly after the break going within metres of the try line but a penalty against the attacking team shutdown the dangerous opportunity and relieved the pressure.

The West Australians played the majority of the rugby in the first 20 minutes of the second half but failure to turn their attacking opportunities into points let the Brumbies out of jail.

The missed chances came back to bite the Force with the Brumbies Colts making the most of their limited time on the ball earning a penalty and Kotz struck true to extend the deficit to nine points.

Against the run of play the Brumbies created something from nothing with Leber scooping up a loose ball and showing serious pace to charge 35-metres untouched for his double. The missed conversion left to score at 21-7 with nine minutes to play.

Playing right to the death, tries to Brumbies Colts' loose head prop Charlie Hancock and Jamie Kotz in the 79th and 80th minutes iced the game for the home side as they cruised in for a 35-7 victory.